Tuesday 16 February 2010

PARIS - DAY 4

The Pompidou museum was first on the agenda today. I came here a couple of years ago, and its a place I could easily spend the whole day... always helps when students go free as well!



I took so many photos of all of the Art that I felt inspired me, so I have tried to narrow it down to my favourite pieces ...

One of the Areas was entitled GENITAL PANIC, this appealed to me as I recently was working on an essay all about Gender Anxiety, and the rise of this in todays society.

Elke Krystufek - 'Size does not matter, age does matter' (2006)




Evelyne Axell - 'Le retour de Tarzan' (1972)



Betty Tompkins - 'Fuck Painting #1' (1969)



Hannah Wilke - 'An Adult game of Mastication' (1975)
I reference this feminist artists work regulary, as I always find no matter how many times I look at her work I can always take away something new from it.





This next piece of work was in the Area 'Women at Work'

Maja Bajevic - 'Women at Work under Construction' (1999)

This Quote really resonated with me "We live as if there will be peace for a hundred years but we prepare ourselves as if there will be war tomorrow."





Shadi Ghadirian - 'Comme d'habitude' (2001)




Ghada Amer - 'Big Pink Diagonal' (2002)
Love this line sewing, when you stand far away it just looks like series of lines, and then up-close you see images emerging.





After spending a good chunk of the day here, we had certainly worked up an appetite, and couldn't wait to try out Angelina's Cafe which had been recommended by one of our tutors. Situated near the Louvre, we got off at the wrong Metro stop, and ended up having to walk, walk, and walk ... but trust me, this place was worth it!
Angelina Tea Room and Cafe was once known as Rumpelmayers and this tea salon was first established back in 1903 and was once a favourite of famous people like Audrey Hepburn and Coco Chanel.
I loved the decor in here, with the marble topped tables, feature wall paintings, gilded ironwork and mirrors.









Just around the corner is a store called COLETTE ... a MUST visit! The Photos can speak for themselves ... Although they can't create the atmosphere, being in here you are among the coolest in Paris.







One brand I keep seeing everywhere in Paris, as it is famous for its Macaroons is LADUREE ... it has the most beautifully charming website ... http://www.laduree.fr/
Elegant, ribbons, pastel shades, highlighted with gold, it speaks ultimate luxury.






Purchased these magazines today ... literally can't wait till I have a few minutes spare when I can lose myself in them.



Back to the Hotel, a quick relax before heading out with Abi to the Notre Dame, to try that Jazz boat that was recommended to us... As we had eaten at Angelina's late we decided to just go here and have some Tapas. With live jazz bands playing, and overlooking the Notre Dame lit up at night, and a bottle of white wine, could it have got any better?! I felt French.






Well, I pretty productive day ... bed.bed.bed.narrower.than.single.bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment